Thursday, February 24, 2011

Do You Remember the Time

Hi, my name is Keena and I'm black. For those who didn't see my picture or read my first post, I'm a bunch of other things as well, but for now, I am just black.

I come to this post with a question -- What comes to mind when you think of February?

Valentine's Day, President's Day, Mid-Winter recess, Restaurant Week, Birthday's etc. Do you guys remember it's Black History Month? It is the coldest, shortest month, probably filled with the most activities and holidays to take away from it, but, it is still Black History Month.

I'm not using this post to drown you in black facts or talk about Martin Luther King Jr., Harriet Tubman or now, Barack Obama. Nor will I intentionally bash our race and say we're a bunch of do nothings. I just want you to take a moment and reflect on a few things. If January is when everyone makes resolutions and takes a look at where they've come from to where they're going, can we use February as a month for Blacks, African-Americans, or whatever title you use to address yourself, to look on the achievements of our people and renew our sense of being?

It's not a time for us to walk around thinking arrogantly, "YEA, THIS IS MY MONTH, MOVE OUT OF THE WAY", but to own this month and realize that we're standing on the backs of our ancestors who made ALL of this, whether it be good or not so good, because 9x out of 10, it's not half as bad as it was, possible. After we've looked back, we need to do something. Make a difference, if not in the lives of everyone, at least ourselves. There is nothing wrong with making yourself a better person.

I'm a member of an organization that puts on events every February focusing on the uplifting on the black community. There are forums around branding yourself within a company, gaining knowledge on housing and buying your own house, health concerns, the law and how it plays in our every day lives, job fairs, community outreach and even cultural events that display our talents as a people. The events thrown are for almost everyone to partake in. The members who put on these events have full time jobs and putting this together is completely voluntary. I love this; I live for this -- divinely altruistic. Working diligently to see something come into fruition that has no direct benefit to you but to others, speaks volumes about your character. I'm sure there are events and programs that happen yearly, similar to the ones mentioned above. We need to take advantage of this free information. I want people to get sick of black people always trying to learn something new or be better than someone :)

I love to see my people doing well and doing different things. I always look to see if there's a little black girl in the ballet shows or a black family on a cruise ship. Seeing my people at formal events, dressed to the nines, plasters a smile on my face every time. Let me be clear, it isn't because I do not think we can do these things or get to these places, that is far from it, but often times, we just don't. It could be that given our history and the need or desire to do well and perform, we sometimes don't venture out enough to get a feel for other things. In college, we don't major in art history or take glass blowing class, we have a concrete major that can potentially land us a job. We went to college to learn, not to explore life's opportunities, per say. I went to a college where the girl sitting directly across from me, traveled to the places that I only read about or saw in movies. I saw Van Gogh's works, she walked past them. That always trips me out because I have that inner traveler, adventure seeker in me, but some unknown force is holding me back -- I'm still trying to figure out what it is.

All in all, I want us to venture out. Instead of taking the annual vacation to Disney or California, save a bit more and go to Paris or an island. Visit a couple of museums, take a few risks, learn a new skill or talent, brush up on your old skills or talents and break the mold. If there's one thing I don't want to be, it's predictable.

Talking about black people and being serious about it, is usually a sensitive topic. I can't please everyone and I doubt everyone will agree with what I said -- I'll love you all the same. I love being black and I love my black people, but I've seen some things that make me think we still have a ways to go.

Short, sweet & to the point -- kinda like me.

Smoochis :-*
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment